Friday, June 15, 2007

Programming and Dancing

I had a dream that I was working on a challenging computer programming problem at the end of an enormous golden ballroom. I looked over my shoulder and walking toward me were two of my friends in beautiful gowns. One of them (who I only knew through the internet) was wearing a dark red that glistened and swirled with a satin shimmer. My other friend was wearing a deep black that seemed to annihilate the light for several inches around it. The sleeves and neckline were lace.

After crossing the empty ballroom to get to where I was, they tried to get me to stop working on the computer problem. They really didn't understand how important it was, and how close I was to having a breakthrough. I really needed to concentrate and began to feel a little sad.

The girl in black wanted me to dance, and although I didn't want to dance, I did want to spend time with her. I told her that I would catch up with them after I finished, which could happen any moment.

They walked away, and before they had crossed the midpoint of the ballroom my debugging had finally come up without any major errors and to my surprise the sample data had gone through properly and the file it exported matched the expected output perfectly.

I walked away from the computer, my footsteps echoing a contrast to the tiny pecking sound of retreating high-heels. The girl in red whirled around and shuffled as quickly as she could in her dress toward me. While the girl in black walked at a regular pace toward us, the girl in red made a running jump into a hug and latched on.

The girl in black stopped a short distance away and crossed her arms with an expectant look crossing her face. That moment, the vision of her, a beautiful darkness against the sunset amber shades of the ballroom, hung in time. I started to feel embarrassed with the girl in red in my arms, and I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment